In just a few days we will leave 2015 behind and start a new year. Typically, people start to form resolutions about what they’ll do differently the upcoming year. We suggest taking steps to improve your oral health in 2016. With a healthy smile you can enjoy renewed confidence and even improve your overall health.
Improve Oral Health in 2016
- Brush and floss the right way: You should be brushing your teeth twice a day for two minutes per session. You should use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush with a 45-degree angle, touching every surface of the tooth. You also need to floss once a day, flossing gently up and down each side of the tooth. Brushing and flossing can remove food particles from between teeth and help reduce the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Drink more water: You should cut back on sodas, energy drinks, or sports drinks as the high sugar and acid content can weaken teeth. Water helps cleanse away food particles and bacteria, keeping you hydrated and improving overall oral health.
- Watch what you eat: You should be consuming foods that include fresh fruits and vegetables. Cutting back on sugary foods and drinks can help boost your oral health and decrease the risk of tooth decay.
- See the dentist regularly: You should have your teeth examined and cleaned at least twice a year. A checkup allows a dentist to identify possible risk factors and treat them before the issues progress. A dental cleaning removes plaque buildup, which limits the risk of cavities and periodontal disease.
- Quit bad habits: One of the most harmful things for your smile, and your body as a whole, is smoking. Tobacco use can increase the risk of teeth stains, the damage from gum disease, and oral cancer.