Recent research shows that about 50 percent of Americans avoid visiting the dentist due to fear or anxiety. Skipping dental appointments means you are not receiving the preventive care you need to keep your smile healthy. At Celina Family Dentistry, Dr. Ganjoor and our team are committed to patient comfort. We offer a beverage station, free WiFi, and TVs in our office to help patients relax. However, some people still stress about their dental appointments. Today, April 16, is Stress Awareness Day, and Dr. Ganjoor wants you to be aware of the sedation techniques that can help relieve your dental stresses.
Common Dental Stresses
Dental sedation can relax your body to help relieve your dental fears and phobias. Sedation is ideal for patients who experience any of the following conditions:
- Difficulty sitting still
- Low pain tolerances
- Sensitive gag reflexes
- Difficulty keeping mouth open
- Fear the sights, sounds, and smells of a dentist office
- Need extensive dental work
- Want several procedures in one visit
- Fear of injections
Types of Dental Sedation
Dr. Ganjoor will determine your anxiety level and select the sedation technique that’s best for you. She offers nitrous oxide and oral sedation to ease your dental tension and reduce your discomfort.
- Nitrous Oxide: Also called laughing gas, nitrous oxide makes you feel lightheaded and relaxed. You will breathe in a gas through a mask that rests over your mouth and nose. Once we remove the gas and mask, all effects will cease and you can continue with your normal routine.
- Oral Sedation: For patients who need a higher level of sedation, Dr. Ganjoor may recommend oral sedation. For oral sedation, you will consume anti-anxiety medication before your appointment. You will still be responsive in the dental chair, but your body will be relaxed and you may not remember your procedure. The effects of oral sedation take a few hours to wear off, so you will need a responsible adult to drive you home.
Don’t let your dental stresses prevent you from receiving the dental care you need to preserve a healthy, beautiful smile. To discuss your candidacy for sedation dentistry, contact Celina Family Dentistry at (214) 851-0130. We welcome patients from Celina, Prosper, Gunter, Frisco, McKinney, Aubrey, Pilot Point, Anna, and surrounding areas.