When it comes to detecting oral cancer, patients are often unsure about what to do. Some patients simply don’t like speaking about the topic because the associated thoughts and potential damage are so upsetting to think about. However, we strongly suggest that patients become more familiar with screenings and the benefits of early detection. Fortunately, by scheduling your checkups consistently every six months, you can rest assured that we will catch and diagnose a problem in its infancy. Wondering how much you actually know about this topic? Test your knowledge and please remember to ask any questions you may have during your next visit.
Oral Cancer Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: For the most part, people who indulge in tobacco develop oral cancer – it rarely develops in anyone else.
- True or False: We suggest oral cancer screenings so we can detect and treat the problem early in its development.
- True or False: Oral cancer screenings are comfortable – we even utilize advanced technology for the earliest, most comfortable detection possible.
Quiz Answer Key
- False. In some cases, oral cancer develops without a clear cause. However, risk factors that may increase the chance of cancer include tobacco use, alcohol use, HPV infection, and exposure to UV rays.
- True. Oral cancer is progressive and makes its way through a variety of stages, worsening as it advances. By detecting oral cancer in its pre-cancerous stage or soon after, we have a much greater ability to control and stop the abnormal growth of cells with treatment when compared with advanced disease.
- True. Your screening will include a visual exam. Then, we will use a comfortable, handheld device called VELscope. It relies on the use of special light that allows us to see areas of abnormal changes in your mouth’s lining. This may permit extremely early oral cancer detection.